How-To: Registration & Trial Flow Setup Detailed
How to use email drip sequence in free trials and onboarding?
A detailed blog post can be found here.
Below are complete how-to implement details including marketing automation usage and API calls.
- Registration Form in Saturn Funnels
- The form can include a drip sequence trigger
- Use the “Trial Sign-Up, But Not Initiated” email drip sequence template to start
- Form Completion, Data to Your SaaS App
- Via an URL with parameters of the form
- A visitorId parameter is included to link with Saturn Funnels
- Setup Trail & Onboarding Automation Email Sequences
- Create the desired drip sequences (we have templates starters)
- Create the automation for “Trial Initiated”
- Complete Registration in Your SaaS App
- Use the visitorId to get a contact_id
- Send trial/onboarding start time and/or customer start time
- Add Trail Milestone Automation
- Add triggers for Milestone Added
- Add triggers for Milestones Not Added in X days
- Program hooks within your SaaS to send milestone Events to Saturn Funnels API
1. Registration Form in Saturn Funnels
All Calls-To-Actions (CTAs), Popups and Landing Pages can have a form. This is the way you can capture the initial information in your registration (e.g. email and a plan).
Some helpful links:
However you chose to deploy your registration form, we suggest you include:
- Email address
- An automation sequence
- A plan that they will subscribe to…assuming you have more than one
To and a drip email sequence:
- Drag-n-Drop the “add to email sequence” field from the Form Fields column to the My Form Fields column.
- Select it, by clicking it, in the My Form Fields column.
- In the right column, you can select the desired sequence.
Then when this form is filled out, that visitor will be added to that drip sequence.
To add the “plan” to the form you have three choices:
- Hidden field (see below)
- A dropdown select field
- Or a radio button group
In the example below, the hidden variable is “plan” and the value is set to “monitor_v1”. This is used on our pricing page to select the Monitoring only plan for trial and churn automation and not marketing automation.
2. Form Completion, Data to Your SaaS App
Next, you need to set a “Destination URL” to send the form data. The CTA, Popup and Landing Page editors have this option (see below for a popup):
- Under the “Form Completed” tab select the “Destination URL” option.
- Ent in your SaaS app’s registration URL
An example URL might be https://app.mydomain.com/register.
The Saturn Funnels will send the for data as URL encoded parameters. With this example URL and the above form you would get:
You can ignore the “add_sequence” value in your app. Saturn Funnels will add that email and visitor to that sequence. You can remove it in an automation or API call as desired.
The visitorId is important. It is a unique identifier that you can use to identify that visitor within Saturn Funnels via our API. We discuss this below.
3. Setup Trail & Onboarding Automation Email Sequences
Create you drip email sequences. These can and should include:
- Signed Up, But Not Registered… recommended
- Times Trial/Onboarding… recommended
- Feature Activated Sequences…triggered by milestones
- Feature Activation Encouragement…triggered when a milestone is not completed
To create drip sequences:
- Select Email ➥ Sequences from the sidebar
- Create a New sequence with a template or a blank “empty” sequence
- The templates include some SaaS specific signup and trial sequences
- Edit the sequences. Learn more here.
Note: Do not forget to add the “Trial Sign Up, But Not Initiated” sequence to your forms in step 1.
4. Complete Registration in Your SaaS App
So now you have the URL parameters from step 2.
The visitorId is important. It is used by Saturn Funnels to record every page visit, every CTA seen, every popup show, every form filled out or button click, and all email actions.
However, that person visits your website via two different devices and fills out form on both devices they will have two different visitorIds. If they use the same email address these will be combined into just one contact.
So, you need to use this visitorId to get the contact_id. And store it in your database for all future communications. Use our API. Below are three different methods you might wish to use to get the contact_id depending on your use case:
- Set Trial/Onboarding Dates (link here)
- This tells Saturn Funnel they are in a trial within the dates set
- These are used for the dashboard and reporting
- Also used to trigger a Trial Initiated automation
- Returns contact_id
- Set As Customer With Dates (link here)
- This tells Saturn Funnel they are in a subscriber now with a start date
- These are used for the dashboard and reporting
- Also used to trigger an Activation automation and receive retention events
- Returns contact_id
- Get Contact (link here)
- Returns the contact record with its _id, the contact_id
5. Add Trail/Onboarding Milestone Automation
When a user is in your free trial or just onboarding you want them to succeed with your SaaS app. Email automation can help increase user engagement and this help with and accelerate their activation (“aha moment”) — convert from trial to a paid account as the major use case.
Saturn Funnels has both trial/onboarding automation and trial/onboarding milestone tracking and analysis features. Here we talk about how to use automations with our API milestone events.
To learn about creating milestones by creating In-App Events.
In step 3 above you learned how to create email sequences. You can use these in automations. In step 4.1 you learn to trigger a “Trial Initiated” automation. Below you will learn to trigger automations based upon milestones. You can:
- Add automation triggers for Milestone Added
- Add automation triggers for Milestones Not Added in X days
- Program hooks within your SaaS to send milestones to Saturn Funnels API
After you have created your email sequences go to the sidebar and select Trials➥Automation to bring up a list of your onboarding automations.
- Name the automation
- Select an “Automation Type”:
- Trial Initiated
- Milestone(s) Added
- Timed: Milestones Not Added in X Days
- Select the “Plan” the automation applies or “All Plans”
- Set up your plans
- Select the “Email Sequence To Trigger” in the dropdown
- Click the “Events” that are the triggers
- For multiple Events selected, select
- Logical AND … all have to be set
- Logical OR … any of the list
- Select any sequences to “Remove Contacts From Email Sequence(s) When Triggered”
- Removes these sequences if the contact is in them, can be multiple
Send Events to Saturn Funnels
Milestones are In-App Events.
In-App Events API
Add In-App Events to Contact
An endpoint to add In-App Events to a contact. Use the event_id from the User Interface: In-App Events > Define Event page.
These events are used for trials/onboarding/churn automations, and various reports in the dashboard.
api_key: string, // found in dashboard
// one of the following 2
contact_id: string, // unique contact identifier,
visitorId: string, // either contact_id or visitorId is required
event_id: string // required, from the dashboard
contact_id: string, // contact _id